As a homeschooling parent, whether new or old (basically any parent at all, I know one thing is for sure… you have an abundance of STUFF. Lots and LOTS of stuff. And somehow, with each new school year, just like a national holiday, you seem to crazily collect and gather new STUFF… some that you believe you need, but much of which that will later go unused or under-used.
Well, have no fear! WonderHere is here to the rescue with the STUFF you will actually USE this new school year. So, here it is, our list of 10 Favorite PRACTICAL tools that will not break the bank, not collect dust, and, best of all, not take up precious shelving space that could house other precious things (like books or beautiful wooden knick-knacks).
- Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker. Yes… there is an obvious reason why this coffee maker is listed first. First, caffeinate, then teach your children. In that order, lest anyone get hurt 😉 Amazon Value: $25
- The Julia Rothman Collection: Farm Anatomy, Nature Anatomy, and Food Anatomy. Because everyone’s homeschooling schedule could benefit from a bit more nature and a bit more science. And, also because these books are some of the most beautifully crafted texts I have encountered… and I am a teacher-mom so I am a book-snob! Amazon Value: $30
- X-ACTO Pro Electric Pencil Sharpener. If there is one thing I know about children, which is universal, it’s that they enjoy destroying pencils and find the most creative and ungodly ways to break, loose, and basically ruin pencils at the most inopportune times! So, you need a pencil sharpener that will be enduring. This sharpener is, hands-down, the BEST! Amazon Value: $33
- Pilot FriXion Clicker Retractable Erasable Gel Pens Fine Point. When battling with your kiddos to get them to complete their copy-work, use better handwriting, and write those thoughtful expository essays… using these neat erasable pens help to make those battles a little less arduous! Amazon Value: $10
- Scotch Thermal Laminator. For the things you buy online, print from your laser-ink jet printer, and want to save and reuse (especially the awesome printable resources you buy from our WonderHere online store HERE 😉 you need a laminator! This one is both affordable and super-easy to use! Amazon Value: $22
- Ticonderoga Pencils (My First Pencil Set & Standard #2 Pencil Set). Remember those sweet and loveable pencil-destroying children I mentioned earlier? Oh yes- well those darling people in your home NEED pencils that can withstand their use. There are simply no better pencils than these! Hear me… there are NONE. These are the best in the pencil business! Take my word for it. Amazon Value: $10
- A Large Magnetic/ Dry Erase White Board. A place to write all of your grand ideas, your beautifully scripted copy-work, and list your daily schedule. A white board is an age-old must-have for every homeschool home. Amazon Value: $40
- A Montessori-Styled Wooden Tray. In my household, a wooden tray is a staple item. It is used again and again. It houses playthings, learning cards, lesson supplies… it can morph into many uses as countless and creative as each new day. Amazon Value: $15
- A Boogie Board E-Writer. Because sometimes writing can be your child’s least favorite… sometimes working out math problems on lined paper is boring… and art supplies can be expensive. This e-writer can add a little jazz to any of your basic schoolhouse routines. Amazon Value: $25
- “Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler’s Guide to Unshakeable Peace” by Sarah Mackenzie. And, this time, yes I am saving the best for last! We need lots of things, but somethings we need more than others. THIS is one of those “more-than-others” kinda things. You need encouragement. If you are going to get through the hard days and if you are going to truly relish the good, you need a constant reminder of why you took up this task in the first place. This book is a MUST-HAVE. A rest assured tank-filler and heart-warmer. You won’t regret this beautifully written read. Amazon Value: $15
Whew! Well, there you have it! For a combined total of about $225 in your Amazon cart, you’ll be well on your way to an early finish to your new school year shopping list. And, as promised, I loaded my Amazon cart with each of these ideas and we are ready to send them on over to someone like YOU!